My Tattoos and the Reason I Got Each One

   So I was on Bloglovin' and saw a post explaining the meaning behind Sage the Blog's peony tattoo. I loved reading this post. So you should go follow her blog and read her post, which you can find here.

   Anyways, this inspired me to do a post sharing all of my tattoos, in the order I got them, and the meaning behind me getting these tattoos.

1. A butterfly on my right hip
   My mom took me to get my first tattoo about a month (or so?) before my 17th birthday. I didn't really have anything planned out but knew I wanted a butterfly. So I picked a small one (this tattoo is about 2 inches in height, maybe a smidgen more. It also has this design thingy behind the butterfly that I wanted blue because whether or not it's supposed to be wind, I think it looks like wind and therefore, to me it is wind. Anyways, I had a traumatic childhood thanks to my father but I'm not going to get into that. Like two months prior to me getting my tattoo, my mom told my father that she wanted a divorce. He was not happy. My mom didn't have a place for us to move to until the end of July (like a little over 3 months after she told him she was leaving him). So we had to live with my dad and he made those few months a living hell. The butterfly represented my freedom. I was getting away from all of that crap and starting fresh (now shit didn't end up going down like that and I had a pretty rough few years after that but that isn't the point). So yea, my butterfly represents my freedom.

2. Just Dance on the arch/ inner side of my left foot
   My mom also took me to get my second tattoo. This was about a month and a half after I had turned 18. Dance was a HUGE part of my life. I danced for about 15 years or something. I danced at a recreation council and also was part of a competitive dance team. At the age of 16, I was given the chance to prove my ability to become a dance teacher and choreographer. After being an assistant choreographer that year, I became a dance teacher/ instructor and choreographer and was one until I quit dance all together 3 years later for lots of reasons. Dance meant the world to me. I loved it and I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty damn good. I got this tattoo like a year after the song, "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga came out. I thought that would be a perfect tattoo for me and my foot was the perfect place to have it. This tattoo represents my dedication to and love for dance.

3a. "Lillies and swirly vine things on my right forearm
   Oh boy, here we go. This was done by my drug dealer felon boyfriend's (boyfriend at the time) cousin's friend who didn't have a phone and lived out of his car about a month before I turned 19. So when we got a hold of him, we got tattooed. At midnight. But that's a long story and has no relation to the tattoo and why I got it. I wanted this tattoo before I even met that monster of an ex boyfriend. The swirly vine things were there for design and stuff and he did his own interpretation of my drawing of the vines. I chose three lilies, which ended up not looking like lilies, because that is my birth flower and 3 is my lucky number and I was born on the third. I knew better and should have never gotten a tattoo that wasn't done by a professional in a shop. DO NOT get a tattoo done if it is not done in a tattoo shop by a professional tattoo artist.
(This picture is from like 3 1/2 years ago. And don't try to say this tattoo looked good. You can't see all the fuck ups by looking at this photo. Trust me, it was a piece of shit)

3b. My cover up tattoo
   About 4 1/2 years later, I finally got this shit covered up. I got the vine things fixed the best Don at Tattoo Dynasty could do and added some more vine things, covered up the "lilies" with 2 blue roses and 1 teal rose, and then got jewelry-like string things with beads and gems and an anchor on them. The gems are ruby colored because ruby is the color of my birthstone. So I obviously got this shit covered up because it was shit. Now it is beautiful. The cover up not only covered up that piece of crap tattoo, it covered up a reminder of a bad time in my life. So it represents like a new beginning/ leaving the past behind, and like I said, the ruby is my birthstone, we still stuck with the three flowers for my lucky number three, and we made the tattoo more feminine.
 


4. Paw Print behind my right ear
   So I met this guy Steve Gentile (now my boyfriend) who works at 717 Tattoo in Mechanicsburg, PA on Tinder this past year (2014, so at age 23). I suggested that our first date should be me being his last tattoo appointment and then we go out to dinner. So we did that and then went to a bar too but again, that part isn't important. I chose to get a small tattoo because I didn't have much extra money since I had to get that cover up tattoo finished and still had one more session for that and also because I had never gotten a tattoo done by Steve and was just being safe and guarded b/c of that previous experience with my shitty tattoo. I chose a paw print because I'm an animal lover and absolutely adore dogs. This tattoo represents my love for dogs and love for my dogs: past, present, and future.

5. Seashell- start of my under boob tattoo
   I wanted a beautiful under boob tattoo. I looked around on Pinterest and Instagram to give me inspiration and one morning on my way to work, it hit me. I wanted a seashell to be the centerpiece and have like a beachyish vibe. I started sketching when I got to work and came up with a super rough sketch and put it on Instagram for Steve to look at. He totally got my idea and understood what I wanted. It is going to look like something a mermaid would wear and have pearls and maybe fisherman netting, or seaweed- stuff like that. The point is, he 100% got my vision. I LOVE summer (I'm a summer baby), the beach, seashells, pearls, and MERMAIDS. So this tattoo is perfect for me! He's only done the seashell center piece so far, which hurt like hell but totally worth it, and it looks amazing! I'm so glad I picked him for the job. He should be doing some more work on it soon.

6. Warrior with an arrow on my right rib
    Early December 2014 (still 23 years old), I got Don to do another tattoo the same day I got my last session of my cover up done. I chose the word, "Warrior" because to me, I am a warrior. I have overcome all of the traumatic experiences I've had to endure and guess what? I'm still here. I also have multiple health problems and each day truly is a struggle. But I'm still here. I am battling this shit and surviving. I am a strong woman. I am a warrior.
   I got the arrow underneath because the meaning of the arrow is this: "an arrow can only be shot forward by being pulled back. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming." I have gone through a lot of shit and a lot of rough years. My life has finally been turning around these past 2-3 years and every time something bad happens, I just try to remember that things will get better. My grandmother gave me a magnet with a quote on it that says something like, God doesn't give you something that together you can't handle. So the arrow is reminding me that even when life brings me down, there is something better to come.

   Well those are the tattoos I have so far. There will definitely be more. I tried my best to not ramble and to not get off the topic of the meanings. I hope you enjoy this post and would love to hear about your tattoos!

   By the way, Happy Friday! Later tonight Steve is coming over. He is going to cook steak and I'm going to make mashed potatoes, which I'm nervous about. I've never made mashed potatoes and while most of the stuff I cook is my first time cooking it, this one really makes me nervous. He is also sleeping over. Have a great weekend!

-Heather

Comments

  1. I think the little paw print is my favorite- though the one on your arch of your foot is pretty cool! Can't say I have any tattoos- the whole needle thing doesn't excite me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think my favorites are the paw print, shell, and teal rose on that forearm piece. For some reason tattooing is enjoyable and relaxing to me- except for the clam shell- that one hurt really bad. I'm actually more nervous when getting piercings than I am with tattoos which I find odd.

      Delete
  2. your "just dance" tattoo is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you have so many beautiful tattoos! I love hearing the meaning behind peoples tats and it sounds like so many of these are symbolic and represents your life journey!
    -Alex
    www.monstermisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I didn't really realize how much they represented my journey in life until I did this post lol

      Delete
  4. I love your tattoos, especially the arrow warrior one! I really want to get a small tattoo somewhere on my shoulder or on my ribs, but I have yet to really decide on what I want.

    Alyssa The Runner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either of those places would be a cute area to get a small tattoo. My boyfriend is giving my little sister her very first tattoo this weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tips on House Hunting

I'm NOT Going to Breastfeed and My Child Will Turn Out Just Fine!

2016 Christmas Card