Keep Your Dog Cool This Summer

   Well, as of this past Friday, we are officially in the dog days of summer. What does that mean? The dog days of summer are the days of the summer with the hottest temperatures. The dog days of summer are July 3rd through August 11th. Fun Fact (or at least I think so): I was born on the 1st dog day of summer/ the start of the dog days of summer and my sister was born on the last day of the dog days of summer. I just think that is kind of funny and ironic.

   So with it being extremely hot, we need to protect not only ourselves, but our pets. This is not a sponsored post. I am recommending products that I have used or people I know have used that are successful in the aid of trying to keep our dogs cool during hot weather.

   1. Baby Pools/ Kiddie Pools

   2. A/C, A/C Window Units, & Fans (and crate fans)


   3. Water & Ice Cubes

   4. Keep Your Dog's Paws Wet with Water. You can soak washcloths with water and then wrap your dog's paws in them.

   5. Check if the Pavement is Too Hot for Your Dog to Walk On. Generally, you put you hand on the pavement to check if it is too hot. Part of my asphalt driveway leads into my yard, so when it is really hot out, I put towels down for the dogs to walk from the door to the grass and spray the towels down with water. If you have no choice but to walk your dog, limit the walk and put one of the dog paw protection wax products on their pads or use booties.

 
                           Musher's                                               Nutri-Vet


   6. Limit Walks and Time Outside

   7. Know the Signs & Symptoms of Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke in Dogs. Here are a few I found online:


   8. Kool Collars- I have this one (I think the middle one) in black. It is a collar (not used for walking or to clip a leash onto) with little gel packs similar to ice packs inside. You simply take the tube of gel packs out and put them in the freezer until they are cold and then you slip them back into the collar and clip it around your dog's neck. You can also put ice cubes inside the collar.


   9. Cool/ Gel Mats- this is the exact one I have and it's only $12.99!


   10. Cooling Vests


   11. Do Not Leave Your Dog in an Enclosed Car, Even if You Have the Windows Down

   Stay cool!

-Heather

Comments

  1. I actually saw a really scary picture on facebook the other day regarding the pavement being hot. A poor dog's paws were bleeding and what looked like blisters. As a dog owner how do you NOT notice that?! It's just like when people leave dogs in cars, I seriously want to wait for them to come back to the car to have a word when I see that. If it's too hot for you, it's too hot for your dog. Leave the dog at home before you disappear for even 5 minutes to the store.

    www.jerseygirltexanheart.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I know which picture you are talking about. I thought about putting it on here but then thought it might be a little too graphic for the post. And I completely agree! When I was younger and we had a pool we went to, my mom saw that someone had left their dog in a hot ass car that wasn't even running while they went in to swim. So my mom told the people at the front desk and told them to call the police. People are so dumb, selfish, and irresponsible. I feel so bad for dogs and animals in general that have owners like that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tips on House Hunting

Months 4-6

9 Months Old