This past weekend (one week ago today) one of my cousins committed suicide. I was not close to him but still, he
I'm not going to discuss specific details as no one truly knows the exact reason for committing suicide other than the person themselves and out of respect for my cousin. I am, however, going to end this post with the warning signs and risk factors of suicide according to American Foundation for Suicide Prevention:
- The person talks about being a burden to others, feeling trapped, experiencing unbearable pain, having no reason to live, and/ or killing themselves.
- Behavior such as increased use of alcohol or drugs, looking for a way to kill themselves (such as searching online for materials or means), acting recklessly, withdrawing from activities, isolating from family and friends, sleeping too much or too little, visiting or calling people to say goodbye, giving away prized possessions, and/ or aggression.
- The person displays depression, loss of interest, rage, irritability, humiliation, and/ or anxiety.
- Mental health conditions such as Depression, Bipolar (manic-depressive) disorder, Schizophrenia, Borderline or antisocial personality disorder, Conduct disorder, Psychotic disorders (or psychotic symptoms in the context of any disorder), and/ or Anxiety disorders.
- Substance abuse disorders.
- Serious or chronic health condition and/ or pain.
- Stressful life events which may include a death, divorce, or job loss.
- Prolonged stress factors which may include harassment, bullying, relationship problems, and unemployment.
- Access to lethal means including firearms and drugs.
- Exposure to another person's suicide, or to graphic or sensationalized accounts of suicide.
- Previous suicide attempts.
- Family history of suicide attempts.
And as always, if you or anyone you know may be thinking about suicide, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
Have a great weekend y'all!